End of training week 12: This was a good but hard week – I am tired and sore today. Not sure how but I had a very sore left calf all week so worked that daily. Long run in snow went well (9 miles @ 11:45 pace) as prep for next Sunday. Moved aerobic workouts to morning which is huge – fitting all this stuff in has been a learning process. I was psyched to realize by moving to morning I could run in daylight and then we turned clocks ahead this weekend!!!!
Note that I compared my 9 miles today with previous runs and it was a little discouraging – I know we are slowing things down so I can go further at a slower pace, but hard to quantify progress when my times are worse -maybe progress is having slower and predictable splits with better form as I have learned HR training and how to control what I am doing 🙂
- Oct 14, 2018 ran 8.1 miles, 9:57 avg pace
- Nov 4, 2018 ran 9 miles, 10:42 avg pace
- March 10, 2019 ran 9 miles, 11:45 avg pace (exactly the target!), Cadence 155, HR 127 avg
This is my life:
- Sunday: always meal prep for the week (this is not new), long run, extra mobility, study/read
- M-F: Wake up before 5am, workout 1-2 hrs, do a ROMWOD, drive hour to work, work 8-10 hrs, drive hour to crossfit gym, try to get there with time before last workout at 7:30 so I can do strength (this has been a fail), get home around 8:45pm, eat and go to bed. I don’t want to abandon my husband so need to leave work earlier and have a little more time at night.
- Note: I watch zero TV
- Moved aerobic workouts to before work. This took me too long to do as 2+ hours of workouts could not be crammed in after work, after my hour drive home and with dinner which resulted in some very late nights!
- Discovered the irrigation box – a small thing made a big difference in squat confidence and my back feeling better got me to 125lb backsquats this week
- Good mobility work – rejoined ROMWOD as I like the sustained holds and do at least 1-2 a day. I did a 9 mile run today and was NOT crippled for the rest of the day in my lower back – this is huge although crossfit on Thursday with KB swings and KB lunges did make my lower back pretty sore.
- Started experiment on supplemental nutrition during races.
- Tried some at 1:18 today with 30 min left – didn’t notice much difference. Don’t like anything too sugary, the sport beans are out! Need blander flavors also …a barrage of stuff is coming this week to try over the next weeks
- Lesson learned: for more complicated workouts with intervals over a long time, need to write out time changes so I don’t get lost during workouts – I think I may be losing it as although I have a Masters in engineering from MIT, I unsuccessfully wrote this out in the middle of “bike3″ as somehow 67″ +10″ equalled 107”! I still find myself also forgetting to do things sometimes – like keep up the cadence or I’ll forget I’m in the middle of a Z3/Z4 interval…losing it 🙂
- I feel great about enlisting my two young proteges (14 and 17 yrs old) to do a spartan sprint this summer and helping them do it
- My equipment failed me in the very cold (7deg F weather) so I will likely buy some Garmin watch in the next weeks – thinking either Forerunner 935 or Felix 5.
- Water intake way better as I leave glasses all over my house now
- Shoulder made another step better with just slight twinge now when hanging – did at least 50 strict pullups during a wod last week.
Need to do better:
- Am struggling getting the lifting routines in – not because I don’t like them/these are my favorites (except squats!) but sometimes when I get to crossfit early, the bars are taken, or I don’t get there early and it is pretty late after. Am thinking I may want to join some typical gym like Fitlab just to have more flexibility for weight training. It is not easier with them spread out over days and would rather plan for 2 days with 2/day then 4 with one day on weekends. I am working/workout out continuously – not slacking off
- Need to get on crawling and grip strength – am wondering if I should get something to use while at my desk/in meetings at work. How can I work this stuff in while at work….maybe take a trip thru the shops carrying something during the day….we are buying a pullup bar for work
- Having trouble getting run cadence up to 170, no issues with bike
thank you for all your advice!
I’ve been living in fear of squats for two reasons: My achey lower back and the fact I’ve always felt a little unstable because of my flexibility and tendency to have issues with an upright upper body while in a squat (remember I cannot do an overhead squat – yet). My coach recommended that I use a box at a height that I’m comfortable squatting to.
After running my head into the end of the 45 lb bar in the rack while reaching for my training routine papers on the ground (rookie mistake), I set it up on a few 10 lb plates so that the top was set if I was in a full squat parallel to ground.
LOVE IT – I don’t know if it just makes me feel safer and not lost in space as I’m awkwardly going down but it is like a magic confidence builder. I went up to 125 lb squat for a pretty easy 3 reps!
Squat on my friends!
Sometimes when you expend less energy and slow down you accomplish more. After a week in Bonaire, on the last dive I realized that if I totally exhale, I sink like a rock and totally managed my buoyancy on my own floating and going up and down at will easily. This also applies to initially getting in the water as you descend – instead of flailing around, just relax and lean forward. It reminds of a day many years ago at GE when I was in some type of battle with the Italians and Vincenzo Di Leva told me that I didn’t realize I had already won….
Pausing and being in the moment is also something I am working on. Doesn’t mean I don’t work hard but it means that you need to make the work count by being focused.
I did run six miles roundtrip to Crossfit Flamingo and do the 19.1 workout – heat kicked my a&& and my calves were cramping during wallballs. I did this while the rest of the group was out diving and before I had my initial, assisted dive en route to certification the next day. I was told you weren’t supposed to exercise too much before diving – this was a test 🙂 Here’s a pic of me and the awesome guys who judged/supported me:
So on this note, let me get back into it and meditate daily. OHm, one more thing, 5 pounds up – I am hoping it is airplane weight and we’ll see in a day or so. I am also determined to get back to the weights – my 7.7 miles yesterday crippled me with the lower back again so I need to continue to work through that and fix it as well.
A few more pics from the trip:
An awesome time and in my new swimsuit!!
Honest reporting and en route to being better,
I have finally done a real T2B!!!!
Started out in Friday Crossfit doing a 50 cal assault bike which DID NOT steal my soul this time…
and ended with some T2elbows and I realized I could just go to bar…. Last year just before my shoulder injury I did T2B but with a jump and swing in front of it. This is what wore out my shoulders a ton before I ultimately tore one.
Pretty dang happy I can do 2 in a row and I also did 6×5 reps dead hang pullups. Getting Stronger!
Now that I am succeeding without fear in my scuba class (4 of 6 classes complete), I did my run test after it around 10:45pm. This is a 5k to see how I do vs. a month ago. My lower back hurt and I felt like I was stuck at a slow pace I’d been training at for low HR training during the warmup. First night trying my headlamp also. Kenny saw me on the way out the door and said he was going to bed.
First mile I just tried to pick it up vs. the warmup and when I heard it was 8:57, I was psyched! Middle part always the toughest so stayed steady and tried to pick it up at the end. I was afraid when I passed our house the lights would be out (total deflater as it would be truly me all alone in the middle of the night next to a bunch of woods containing who knows what!) but they were not.
Results below – took off 1:30 off my time with 8:46 pace! YES!
||Week of 12/17/18
||Week of 1/23/2019
|Time to complete
||3 (1 is best)
||3 (if I slowed pace after, could have run a lot after)
||33F, neighborhood loop 3.2 miles, after work
||39F, started at 10:45pm, neighborhood loop, did 10 min warmup. Each mile is a bit faster. (8:57, 8:43, 8:42)
New Bedford Half Marathon Sun Mar 17 CMPLT 2:28:09
WOD Clovis May 5
Boston Spartan sprint 5k OCR May 11
3.97 mi, 1:23:17 (3x burpeed)
BoneFrog New England 6 mile OCR May 18 6.38 mi 2:23:23 3200′
64/311 everyone, 3/10 age group (50+), 11/94 females.
Boston Spartan Super 8 mile OCR Aug 10
Ragnar VT Trail Relay 28 mi total Aug 16
Spartan Ultra Killington 30 mi OCR Sept 14
Manchester Marathon Nov 10
Spartan Fenway Sprint 5k Nov
It started with me peeing my pants during a jump rope warmup – a few times despite repeated trips (had written “runs” but that just didn’t seem right) to the bathroom. A few years ago during some squat workout, a friend around my age was laughing about how squats always made her pee her pants and I was so happy that I was not alone. For middle age women and apparently sometimes for those younger who had kids, this is an issue we deal with. I live in fear of heavy squats for this reason.
I did a squat/bench strength retest yesterday and failed at finding a max at both. In squat, the main reason was my lower back hurt and I felt very unstable so stopped. Am I living in fear or is it a valid reason? I will do 400 air squats anytime and put in longer term work so I’m thinking its not that I’m mentally weak. Darn that Goggins for now planting a seed (perhaps unintentionally) that anytime I don’t almost kill myself like he does that I am not pushing hard enough…..
In bench, I did more than I ever have 3@105 lbs but started to feel a torque on the recovering shoulder so stopped there. Then the WOD was 5x 9 burpees over bar/6 cleans/3 presses for 3 min each with 1 min rest. Also a decently harsh workout for the shoulder so I did with 55 lbs and smoked the burpees! This was an eye opener that I am not 100% back quite yet. Got home and did 75 min on the bike trainer to do a bike retest – was pretty tired even during the warmup but did the work.
Another day today – am trying to leave work “early” around 3pm so I can do my run test before scuba class and be in bed by 10pm.
Honest reporting, clean eating and doing the work,