I got home last Thurs Jan 17 around 8:30 after two previous late nights at scuba class and working out and just ate and went to bed. What is the right call to make? Missed my workout but got sleep. Maybe it was to quit working so late and make myself the priority but not sure I can do that 100% of the time. Thurs my boss came by my desk looking tired around 4:30 and several sales teams asking me for packaging of our new service offerings so I stayed to come up with the “We’ve Got Your Back” set of services… The night before I had scuba class from 6-9pm and went running after until around 11pm in the cold.
End of week 5 on Jan 20 and a few observations/changes to make:
- Need to get in the 5-20″ meditation daily. This hasn’t been going so well.
- Need to do better with grip strength practice. Cleaned up basement so can make the rounds down there with the plates when I have a bike workout.
- Need to ensure daily 20″ of mobility to fix this back – this has been going pretty well and my back definitely feels better than it was but is still pretty sore. I haven’t had the searing pain in the two spots in my lower back I’ve had before but it still spasms and I’m afraid to wear high heals at work because of it.
- Has been really fun changing gears and going from a heart rate (HR) zone 2 to 4/5 in practice. HR2 sure seems slow and my mile times are over 12 min when I am doing that but with a fast cadence, easier to practice the Pose running, which seems like it takes effort still but feels more natural than it did at first.
- Significant improvements in left shoulder. I did 3 pullups last week with the briefest pause and no assists. Slight pain after so I’ll stick with 3 this week until it goes away after. Deadlifts, squats, push presses no pain at all anymore with increased weight almost weekly. DL started at 150 and went to 3×10@185. PP from a hard 45 to 60. Squat from 65 to 105. Bench from 65 to 3×10@85.
- Huge learnings on technology and its issues. Realized I need my bike fitted so am on the schedule at FitWerx in Peabody. See last post!
- My physical therapist couldn’t help but laugh when he saw how inflexible my hamstrings are – see pic at top where I am now staying totally square when stretching hams and can’t even bend over with straight back as I’m already stretching – putting the pipe behind me keeps me honest. We’ll see where I’m at in a month or so.
- Pose running: Still easiest to feel the foot plan and heel kiss while running against a pole but faster cadence and keeping ankles loose helps too. Huge differences between left and right legs in difficulty of lifting my foot.
- I am doing really well at the crossfit WODS now with better aerobic capacity and the longer workouts. Except for snatches, I’m doing the workouts and they are still so much easier than they used to be.
I think the answer for workouts vs. work may be the lunchtime workout. I like my mornings – I will try to do some meditation and mobility in the morning.
I also just hit a new low weight of 138.8… I think those abs are in there somewhere !!
Finding the time but it’s not easy – loving the workouts, singing super loud in the basement during the bike workouts and loving the silence during running, trying to not the let the buttonwood hill take my soul!
A lot of talk and haven’t really done $%^& yet but putting in the work so far and trusting in my coach.
I also did great at the 2nd scuba class and didn’t feel uncomfortable at all in scuba gear. I was facing my fear, walked in and told the instructors I was determined to work on my underwater breathing (my current hypothesis with the panics is that I am afraid I don’t have lung capacity) and their response was “good thing you don’t need to hold your breath!”
Failed at the Lindt vs. ence photo tonite as I ate two Lindt balls at Marguerys house before being thrown out due to politics…these were the Lindt balls I gave her as I couldn’t have them in my house without eating 10-15 at a time.
Not perfect but determined.