Have had a few cold days up here in New Hampshire and wanted to keep track of how my clothing and battery life is going. One day this week while I was running in 7F temps, my iphone was doing GPS for fitbit and Runfit app – died in just one mile…
57F roasted in long sleeve light rashguard – wear skort and short sleeve shirt with high viz vest
- Iphone started 84% ended 20% after 2 hours using runfit and metronome apps only
48-54F No need for fleece, just wore long sleeve light rashguard and high viz vest
Lesson learned from ultra: Started in low 50s but rain and wind. Wore sleeveless shirt and compression pants which were find 98% of first loop even after swim. Brought light jacket in ziploc bag in case it is needed. Wet is OK as you need the barrier. I only used it at the top of the mountain and really needed it after the swim the 2nd loop but did not have it. Carry the few extra ounces!
Above 32 deg F:
- Lightweight smartwool longsleeve shirt and mid weight fleece, no gloves required (unless perhaps windy), standard midweight leggings (not the super thin yoga kind but the athletic compression leggings of athleta). No hat but can use band around ears.
- Iphone batteries run down within 90 min if using for GPS fitbit/runfit apps and using music or audible (not streaming)
- Add gloves to above and if cold wind, windproof shell.
- Using basic leggings, my legs were hard to feel after 8 miles so I want to add lightweight leg liner next time
7 deg F
- Heavier weight smartwool long sleeve shirt, midweight fleece. Should have added another lightweight layer as I did for Turkey trot which was a few degrees warmer…
- Hat is a definite although you might end up with sweat ice chunks after the run! Got a little hot – might try a heavier duty ear covering
- gloves and a pair of lightweight glove liners – this was not enough as my hands froze! Looking for solution here – tricky as you don’t want to be hot either but this was too cold
- I also had on a pair of leggings with fleece but this was also not enough – need to add another thin liner.
- Also could use something for face – was totally frozen.
- Iphone used for fitbit/runfit with GPS, died within 1 mile – this has me looking into Garmin devices now – either Forerunner 935 or Felix 5