I was a last minute stand-in with a great “Herd of Dirt Turtles!” ~7.5 mile obstacle course race in Charlton, MA.
- Morning run to get my time in pre-race: 1 hour, 5.43 miles, 11:03 avg mile pace, 127 avg HR(Z3)/142 169 cad
- Tough Mudder: 7.5 miles, 3:47:01, 719′ elevation, 12:59/mi moving pace. Had huge thunderstorm near end so they had a few obstacles closed and about a 20 min wait before we finished when they closed the entire course.
- Bring enough food, etc and not rely on the course. Just before we raced, they said this course has tons of food so I left all but 1-2 gels behind only to have 2 aid stations over the ~45 hours. Besides the lack of aid stations, there were also unexpected long waits at obstacles. I did not wear a hydration vest, just brought the gels and a bunch of salt stix.
- Altra Superior shoes were fine for this but seemed to hold more water at first than my Inov8 F-235 lites/drained eventually.
- Being on a team is way more fun than doing it alone and I liked the team obstacles where you had to help each other
- I skipped all the heavy shoulder obstacles but did the wall climb overs
- Loved the hanging down electrocution strips – got zapped on my bum at the very end.